Peculiar goings-on

A diary of our senseless day

Moderator: Hatter Police

Peculiar goings-on

Postby hamster on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:38 pm

It is time, high time, for a new topic.

What is going to happen at 4:37 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 2, 2006, in the small Missouri town of Peculiar, in a small white house off the main highway?

(No violent or horrific suppositions, please! Nothing horrible ever happens in Peculiar, thanks to the blessing pronounced by a mysterious grateful traveler passing through the town at 4:37 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 2, 1902).
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Chazoa on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:05 pm

I live in missouri... should I hide?
Chazoa
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Astarte on Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:38 am

Is that near Kansas City?

Will it be the exact momemt of your birth a number of years ago?

And Chaz!!! You live in Missouri, too!!! :shock:

Crumbs, I know someone else from Missouri, as well.
Image ...Weep no more...Image
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Chazoa on Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:10 pm

You live in kansas city? That's scary. Should I lock my doors and windows?
Chazoa
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Astarte on Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:32 am

No, I live in Australia, thank goodness! :D

But I now now three Missouri guys on the net!!! :shock:
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:26 pm

I think that peculiar traveler will pass through again with out visible aging
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby hamster on Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:48 pm

Astarte wrote:No, I live in Australia, thank goodness! :D

But I now now three Missouri guys on the net!!! :shock:

Two.

I don't live in Missouri. I dwell farther east, across the Appalachian mountains in historic Virginia.

But I have been there, including Peculiar, where I enjoyed a delicious sub sandwich and watched the young waitress bring a bowl of water to a thirsty stray dog in the middle of the restaurant.

It seemed to be the kind of place which was not troubled by such an act of compassion.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Chazoa on Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:59 pm

Although that may be what you think every place in this out-of-the-way state is like, it's not... in fact the city I live in is just as bad as new york. Nobody cares about anybody but themselves.
Chazoa
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby hamster on Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:12 pm

Aw, it can't be that bad!

I had a good time in Kansas City and met some very nice people.

Maybe St. Louis is rotten. I won't ask if that's your city. But even in the busiest, meanest cities, there are great people to be found.

I went to Chicago with my family a few years ago. In the midst of all the crowds and craziness, a woman, a total stranger, came over to us and asked us if we needed directions somewhere (we were examining a map).

I've been a Chicago fan ever since, and also refuse to any longer believe that any city is 100 percent bad.

Chazoa wrote:Although that may be what you think every place in this out-of-the-way state is like, it's not... in fact the city I live in is just as bad as new york. Nobody cares about anybody but themselves.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Astarte on Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:16 pm

hamster wrote:

Did you meet sockpuppet?

He lives in Kansas City, Missouri and is very nice.

hamster wrote:Maybe St. Louis is rotten. I won't ask if that's your city. But even in the busiest, meanest cities, there are great people to be found.

Didn't Judy Garland sing a lovely song about "Meet Me In St Louis, Louie"? I also saw the film and it seemed a very nice place, but I never realised it was in Missouri.

Virginia also has a rather nice song written about it. "carry Me Back To Old Virginie".....

Wasn't Robert E Lee born there?

hamster wrote:I went to Chicago with my family a few years ago. In the midst of all the crowds and craziness, a woman, a total stranger, came over to us and asked us if we needed directions somewhere (we were examining a map).

I've been a Chicago fan ever since, and also refuse to any longer believe that any city is 100 percent bad.

Any place you go is a mix of good and bad.
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby hamster on Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:25 pm

I never met sockpuppet, although perhaps I passed him along the streets of KC and never knew it. Perhaps he was that fellow who sold me a bag of chips at the gas station. I hope he wasn't the guy who charged me $100 extra in tax for my rental car.

That Carry Me Away song is indeed beautiful. It was our state song. Then some PC nuthead coalition got it taken away because of one single reference to persons of color, which could easily have been edited out without throwing out the whole song.

They replaced with some peppy, elevatory-music, unsingable "Sweet Virginia Breeze" mess that sounds like a cross between a car commercial and Barry Manilow on a really bad day.

Lee was indeed born here. More importantly, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, the great explorer Jim Bridger, Princess Pocahontas and way too many other awesome people were also born here. Genghis Khan, however, was not born here. Neither was Confucius. Or Bart Simpson.

Astarte wrote:
hamster wrote:

Did you meet sockpuppet?

He lives in Kansas City, Missouri and is very nice.

hamster wrote:Maybe St. Louis is rotten. I won't ask if that's your city. But even in the busiest, meanest cities, there are great people to be found.

Didn't Judy Garland sing a lovely song about "Meet Me In St Louis, Louie"? I also saw the film and it seemed a very nice place, but I never realised it was in Missouri.

Virginia also has a rather nice song written about it. "carry Me Back To Old Virginie".....

Wasn't Robert E Lee born there?

hamster wrote:I went to Chicago with my family a few years ago. In the midst of all the crowds and craziness, a woman, a total stranger, came over to us and asked us if we needed directions somewhere (we were examining a map).

Any place you go is a mix of good and bad.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Astarte on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:03 am

hamster wrote:I never met sockpuppet, although perhaps I passed him along the streets of KC and never knew it.

Like ships that pass in the night.

hamster wrote:Perhaps he was that fellow who sold me a bag of chips at the gas station. I hope he wasn't the guy who charged me $100 extra in tax for my rental car.

I don't think so, he's too busy being a retired gentleman of leisure.

hamster wrote:That Carry Me Away song is indeed beautiful. It was our state song. Then some PC nuthead coalition got it taken away because of one single reference to persons of color, which could easily have been edited out without throwing out the whole song.

They replaced with some peppy, elevatory-music, unsingable "Sweet Virginia Breeze" mess that sounds like a cross between a car commercial and Barry Manilow on a really bad day.

Now I feel sad. That was a lovely song, and as you say, easily edited.

hamster wrote:Lee was indeed born here. More importantly, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, the great explorer Jim Bridger, Princess Pocahontas and way too many other awesome people were also born here.

Fine people indeed.

hamster wrote: Genghis Khan, however, was not born here.

That is most fortunate. However, If General Sherman marched his troops through Virginia on his way to the sea, you may have had a taste of Genghis Khan........

hamster wrote:Neither was Confucius.

Perhaps, we are all born where we are needed to be?

hamster wrote:Or Bart Simpson.

Is he missed?
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter