How could we miss the platypus

This forum is for the discussion of various species of animals, be it worms, kangaroos, penguins or porcupines.

Moderator: Hatter Police

How could we miss the platypus

Postby hamster on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:47 pm

How is it that this forum has missed discussing such a fascinating animal as the Platypus?

It's a mammal that lays eggs and even has a little venom going for it -- in its toe, I think.

Kudos for Camp Lazlo, which may be the first attempt on television to animate this creative creature.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:17 pm

I love platypi
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby hamster on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:30 pm

Pimienta wrote:I love platypi

Does it taste better than apple pie?

If you measure platypi, do you get the square root of pi?
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:14 pm

what's the deal with all the punning :D :D
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby hamster on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:25 pm

Well, you know, it's all pun and games until somebody gets hurt.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby nil on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:39 am

Platypus is a native of Australia, so Astarte might have more expertise on it. She probably has the best receipt for it as well...
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Astarte on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:33 am

I do indeed! However, it is a secret family recipe and to share it would mean the end of civlisation as we know it. :(

On the other hand, if you do ever come across a platypus in the wild, just pop it into a blender, along with some cocoa nut milk, ice and a eucalyptus leaf, and you will be pleasantly surprised by the refreshing taste of what we Aussies call Swamp Julip. Lovely on a hot Summer's day. :D
Image ...Weep no more...Image
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby TheCountess on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:31 am

When I was listening to a zoo keeper tell us about the platypus while feeding it live prawns, he mentioned that the poison it keeps in one of it's claws causes pain like a burning sensation, so intense that people have self-amputated the affected limb to get rid of it. He also mentioned that platypi, though being basically water-dwellers, have not evolved to see underwater... They have to close their eyes and swim blind, using movement to find stuff. Which was why it was hilarious to watch a blind platypus snuffling around for the prawn dinner sitting very still on a rock right beside it.
TheCountess
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby hamster on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:30 pm

Nature does seem to get behind sometimes. After millions of years in the water, whales and turtles and sea snakes still have to surface for air, having failed to regain their primordial gills, and they must find that quite annoying.

And human men are still far behind that pinnacle of evolution, the human woman, who has learned how to hang up her clothes in a closet and refrain from belching in public. :D
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter