Santa Claus

A place to argue, to talk. No violence is allowed. Any violator will be violently punished.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Santa Claus

Postby nowhere man on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:00 am

Now I'm going to assume everyone reading this knows the truth about santa claus. So hear is the question up for debate. Does it make sence to allow your children to beleive in santa claus, or even encouragr the beleif, when you know they are going to eventualy find out it is not true and perhaps be heartbroken by the news.
It makes no sence to me to lie to a child like that, it even seems mean.
What do you think?
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Lies

Postby nil on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:34 am

We live in a world of lies, which is not as bad as it sounds. Most of the lies we see are harmless or almost harmless. For example: all coloring in food are lies. They have 0 nutrition values and its only function is to deceive the consumers to mistaken it as something it isn't (which match the definition of lie). But we are happy to see those colors because we would lose our appetizer if we see the original color of those artificial food.

I think it's dangerous to let your child live in an artificial lieless world. It's like keeping your child in a germ-less world which will severely weakening their immune system.

I think it's more important to train the child to detect lies and truth instead of lying to them that we live in a world without lies. Only when we learn how to detect lies, can we really trust people.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Insanity test on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:30 pm

Santa Claus/Father Christmas is a 'lie to children'. They don't yet understand the concept of money or of giving when you don't have to. So we tell them a story of a nice fat man in a red suit squeezing down the chimney (kids love crazy stories) and depositing lots of toys.

If every kid knew it was their parents getting them the presents before they understood self-sacrifice they could become very difficult to deal with just before christmas. Father Christmas is therefore a scapegoat for parents who are unable to deliver what their children want. Which isn't that bad considering some kids want spaceships for christmas.

:xmas:
--/:Out of cheese Error:/--

Please shutdown Universe and reboot from Start.
Insanity test
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: A small blue green planet on the Western Spiral Arm of the Milky Way.

Postby hamster on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:35 pm

I think Santa Claus is fine for the little ones -- think how much excitement they get out of the whole thing -- sitting on his lap, putting out cookies, opening presents from him. Would you take all that away?

But when they begin to ask questions, that's the time, instead of attempting to force them to continue to believe, simply to say, "Well, you've enjoyed it but you're growing up now and here's the truth."

I don't remember melting into a pool of disillusionment and misery and suffering lifelong emotional scars when I asked the question and got the answer.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:41 am

I don't think you would be taking anything away from kids when you don't lie to them about santa claus. They can still get excited about christmas, they still open presents, theres the anticipation, and does it mean nothing when it comes from their parents? I think it should mean more.
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby hamster on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:14 pm

nowhere man wrote:I don't think you would be taking anything away from kids when you don't lie to them about santa claus. They can still get excited about christmas, they still open presents, theres the anticipation, and does it mean nothing when it comes from their parents? I think it should mean more.

I sentence you to watch Miracle on 34th Street this weekend, with no butter for your popcorn.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:53 pm

I have seen Miricle On 34th street. It is a good movie, but in that movie Santa actualy exists, If santa actualy existed of course you should tell your kids that he did. But since he dosn't, I don't think you should
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby hamster on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:08 pm

Can you prove that Santa doesn't exist?

nowhere man wrote:I have seen Miricle On 34th street. It is a good movie, but in that movie Santa actualy exists, If santa actualy existed of course you should tell your kids that he did. But since he dosn't, I don't think you should
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:45 pm

I can prove that santa does not bring presents to my little cousins, or any children I know for that matter.
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:53 pm

I think he may have existed and stories were told about him and as the years passed, the stories grew and grew and now we have a big fat guy with nine reindeer and a ton of little elves living at the north pole

I also believe that children should at some point in their life have it explained but why should we crush the magic of it all
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby hamster on Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:16 pm

No, you can't. It is logically impossible to prove a negative.

nowhere man wrote:I can prove that santa does not bring presents to my little cousins, or any children I know for that matter.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:37 pm

yes you can prove negatives

there is a quote in our science room that says something about it and it make total sense but I can't remember the exact quote or who said it so until I have it,you will just have to trust that it was a ver;y; intelligent and logical person
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:54 pm

hamster wrote:No, you can't. It is logically impossible to prove a negative.

nowhere man wrote:I can prove that santa does not bring presents to my little cousins, or any children I know for that matter.

Wait, explain that. Why couldn't I prove that santa clause dosn't give presents to my cousins? All I would have to do is ask my aunt, if her answer isn't enough, all I would have to do is ask my aunt if her kids recieved any presents she dosn't remember buying. right?
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Insanity test on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:40 am

Just as a matter of random barely related interest, did you know that Rudolf should have been Rudelphia, ie. a female?

Male Reindeer shed their Antlers over winter, so if they have antlers, they must be female.

Interesting, eh?

Anyway, sorry, :off: .

Carry on!
--/:Out of cheese Error:/--

Please shutdown Universe and reboot from Start.
Insanity test
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: A small blue green planet on the Western Spiral Arm of the Milky Way.

Postby nil on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:25 am

Those aren't antlers, those are antennas for instant messaging. Santa gets an instant message when you do good or bad thing.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Next