Third Question

My question, your advice

Moderator: Hatter Police

Third Question

Postby Nobody on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:01 am

Am I the only American who doesn't understand why we didn't zap that North Korean missile on the launch pad a while back?
Nobody
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

Postby nil on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:07 am

The zap gun is too busy zapping Iraqi.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Nobody on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:18 am

nil wrote:The zap gun is too busy zapping Iraqi.

You have to admit the concept is theoretically pretty cool: laser turrets on modified 747s, linked up to sensor nets on antimissile ship screens and land radar arrays.
Nobody
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

Postby nil on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:29 am

I used to own a couple of those "laser gun ship" in the game of Starcraft.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Re: Third Question

Postby hamster on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:24 pm

Nobody wrote:Am I the only American who doesn't understand why we didn't zap that North Korean missile on the launch pad a while back?

Because then the lunatic who rules that country would have exactly the excuse he needs to lob whatever other deadly crap he has, all over South Korea and wait the five minutes or so that it would take for world opinion to blame the disaster on the big, mean US and that incorrigibly evil Bush guy who is responsible for every bad thing in the world today.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

North Korea negotiation

Postby nil on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:55 am

Actually I think Bush did the smart thing this time by negoiating with North Korea. It's only a matter of time when North Korea will fall into pieces. At the worst, the North Korea of the future will only be half as evil as the one in the present. Just like the new Russia is only half as evil as the old USSR.

If USSR can be brought down without firing a single bullet, why can't it happen to other countries? And if war didn't work in Vietnam, why would it work in Iraq, or N.K.? And if "preemptive war" is such a great idea, what happened to Hitler, afterall wasn't Hitler the king of preemptive war? And don't forget Japan also "preempt" pearl harbour. They all achieved some humongous victories at the beginning and then what happened?

The world is a gigantic poker game. And the way to win the game is by intelligent bluffing. Talk crazy, act smart; not talk crazy and act crazy.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Re: North Korea negotiation

Postby Nobody on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:02 pm

nil wrote:Actually I think Bush did the smart thing this time by negoiating with North Korea. It's only a matter of time when North Korea will fall into pieces. At the worst, the North Korea of the future will only be half as evil as the one in the present. Just like the new Russia is only half as evil as the old USSR.

If USSR can be brought down without firing a single bullet, why can't it happen to other countries? And if war didn't work in Vietnam, why would it work in Iraq, or N.K.? And if "preemptive war" is such a great idea, what happened to Hitler, afterall wasn't Hitler the king of preemptive war? And don't forget Japan also "preempt" pearl harbour. They all achieved some humongous victories at the beginning and then what happened?

The world is a gigantic poker game. And the way to win the game is by intelligent bluffing. Talk crazy, act smart; not talk crazy and act crazy.

Until Hitler poured its strength out on the Russian wasteland the Wehrmacht had total supremacy. And Hitler lost because he was too much of a snobby hick idiot to look for allies. If he'd courted the Belorussians, Ukrainians, Poles, the peasant landholders forced onto kolkhozes and all the other anti-Commie groups in Eastern Europe he'd have won hands down.

Pre-Emptive war, genocide, all that stuff does pay, and its not going to just go away. If you doubt that, then tell me quick what tribe lived 400 years ago in the city where you're reading this now.
Nobody
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Sorry to stride off topic but..
has there ever been a sci fi novel about the genocide of an alein civilzation, that paralles the genocide of the native americans?
If not I'm writing it
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Genocide

Postby nil on Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:22 am

There is a "Forever War" by Joe Haldeman which is a parallel to the Vietnam war and it has won the Hugo award. But I don't know any regarding to the native Americans, so I guess you can safely write a book about it (and win another Hugo award too!)

And regarding to the preemptive war, it works well when it comes hand in hand with genocide. We tried to avoid genocide nowadays, not because we are nicer, it's just that the nation that we tried to genocide with may not be easily "genocidable" when they process some nasty destructive weapons.

And if Hitler had made some allies, he would have also made some compromises, and that meant he would behave less crazy than he had been and he might even be willing to shave off his funny mustache...

P.S. I can name the tribe that lived here 400 years ago, they were called the Hitachi tribe (according to Lisa Simpson)
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster