Music I like

Forum for the musical talented

Moderator: Hatter Police

Music I like

Postby Bomadeno on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:46 pm

I like music - a lot, tub I don't actually have any musical talent. I like a lot of different kinds of music, I particularly hate opera, I don't really like very repetitive club music, and I don't have much time for lame musicians who get big marketing. (like James Blunt)

I really don't like James Blunt actually.

Moving on from there... I really like 'indie' music, although no doubt wherever you (not you specifically, tub the reader) are from, its called something else. I also really like classic rock.

I hate having to name artists that I like musically, as I dont really specify like that... I just like or dont like individual songs on hearing.

What sort of music in general does everyone else like?
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Re: Music I like

Postby Insanity test on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:59 am

Hi, sorry for the delay, have been on an orchestra course coincidentally!
Anyway, I'm into Classic Rock as well, my favourite band is Queen who are sorta glam rock really, but overall it's hard to categorise them (but I hate it when pple call them cheesy - grr).
Apart from that I'm fairly open minded, the only things I object to being most rap and trancelike stuff and avant guard, there's no tune uber-modern classical music.
--/:Out of cheese Error:/--

Please shutdown Universe and reboot from Start.
Insanity test
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: A small blue green planet on the Western Spiral Arm of the Milky Way.

Postby nil on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:19 am

I absolutely know nothing about music. But today I saw something that really amaze me. It's the Ethan Bortnick's youtube video:

Have any of you heard of Ethan Bortnick? He is a six years old piano player, composer, actor, and a lot of other things... He has a site in http://www.ethansmusicsite.com/aboutme.cfm. I can almost bet my farm that he will be the next Mozart (unless he got too distracted in his acting career). Do any of you agree with me?
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Symphonious on Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:55 am

Uhh. . . yeah. I'm pretty sure everyone knows I am an uber-band-geek. Or orchestra-geek. Whatever you want to call it.

I play the flute & piccolo, occasionally the bassoon, clarinet, oboe, and piano. It's some work to keep up just with my flute repertoire, especially during school. It's a LOT of work, actually.

As for music I like -- including, but not limited to, the works of Mahler, Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Rossini, Wagner, Sousa, Holst, Swearingen, Carter, Ticheli, de Meij, and Strauss. Also Heart, Queen, Lynard Skynyrd, Elvis Costello, and Burt Bacharach. Ya, I'm a classical-music junkie.
Symphonious
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:42 am

Sorry bomadeno but I enjoy the occasional operatic piece of music

I have even sang songs from operas though not very well or very many

I also like classical, classical rock, anything really I don't know many artist names or genre names so I can't really describe my musical tastes all that well and besides I haven't found any new things to listen to in a while so I have been listening to the same stuff for the past year
it's sort of boring me

I really dislike country though. I mean I can stand it and some songs I like merely because of it being tied to my child hood but I really got tired of listening to it (one of the three radio stations in my home town and the one my family listened to)
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:33 pm

Last weekend or so (maybe two weekends ago.. i cant remember) I found my dad's classical music cd collecion and reipped it all. I'm at last able to listen to it when i want! Its amazing. And much better for working to. Anyway, reckon you can explain what's good about opera? Noones managed to yet, tub, i have an open mind so... if you can do it, go for it!
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:27 am

I can't explain what is good about it
I admit to that inability
I just know that it fills me with joy sometimes
it is like classical music with words
words in a foreign language
foreign being a relative term
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:00 am

I can't understand why I hate it either... Right now though i have a crazing for a few songs/cds, and i wish i could hear the music. The artists are Kate Nash and Scouting for Girls, and I have neither of their cds. This means I have no ability to listen to either of them, despite realley liking both.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:29 am

:(
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby TheCountess on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:08 am

I like opera, techno, rock'n'roll.. but mostly Punk Rock. I like music that makes me feel like I can fly. The uplifting stuff.
I will holler you Home
TheCountess
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Insanity test on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Opera is to some the perfect artform. I'm not saying I agree with this, but I can see where they are coming from.
I love orchestral music, theres just something about a whole orchestra playing that sets the hairs on end. I also love singing, which can be a most emotional experience. When a character is in pain, the explosive notes of an aria can be like a gutteral scream pouring forth emotion, or at the other extreme, can convey the gentlest lullaby. The combination of the relatable human emotion with the swells of an orchestra, coupled with a good heart wrenching storyline can be an amazing experience.

I do occasionally get annoyed with singers who warble too much. Vibrato is a very personal thing, but there seem to be some who believe that as much wobble all the time as is possible is the way forward. I personally like a clean smooth note with a fade to the vibrato as it builds.

Insanity test
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:17 pm

I agree about the warbling. Vibrato should make it sound better not worse. Some people just don't understand it.
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Ok! Infect me. (i can be easily infected so its not that hard)

Link me to a bunch of youtube opera, and I shall listen it through. I don't know if there 'is' such a thing, tub give it a mix - and tell me what differences I'm listening for. I'll try and find the light, even if its only a dim appreciative one. (i appreciate the talent, tub can't really make much of the music)
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:37 am

Wagner (vagner) is pretty good
there is an opera that is about a ring
it's actually based on Norse mythology and Tolkien based the lord of the rings on that opera
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Insanity test on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Ok, I kinda dissappeared before you wrote that, so I realise I'm entire year late now, but I'll give it a go.

You've probably heard Nessun Dorma to death, especially by that annoying Potts person, so I won't subject you to that, but this duet from the Pearlfishers by Bizet is one of my favourites. The sound quality's not great, but the performance is more subtle than others I've found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZORqZv3odh8&feature=related

This is Maria Callis singing La Mamma Morta (The dead Mother - usually translated as 'They killed my Mother') from Giordano's opera Andrea Chénier. It appears in a scene in the film Philidelphia where Tom Hanks explains the text. On this link, it's subtitled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7kPHMpuLxc

This is an aria I grew up with, my mum loved it and learned it while I was young. It's Senza Mamma (Without Mother - but this time it's the mother singing) from Suor Angelica by Puccini. No subtitles I'm afraid, but it's a nun who's been told her illigitamate child she was put in the convent because of and hasn't seen in 7 years is dead. It's not quite how I remember it, but it's the best I could find quickly. I remember it being a little slower at the end, but other than that it's a good performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI9rp9BZG-g&feature=related

Insanity test
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter