Controversial?

A place to argue, to talk. No violence is allowed. Any violator will be violently punished.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Should controversy be allowed in the debate forum?

Yes
76%
No
No votes
Within Limits
24%

Total votes : 17

Controversial?

Postby Bomadeno on Thu May 05, 2005 4:33 pm

Should the debate forum allow the discusion of sensitive and possibly controversial things?

For example should topics like:
'Christianity is the only religion that makes any sense, all other religions are complete rubbish'
'Black people are inferior to white people'
'America is right to maintain it's own nuclear arsenal whilst the rest of the world disarms'

*I don't btw necessarily agree with these arguements - especially not the first two - the last I am more unsure about*

Tub should these topics be brought up? they have afflicted our society for years, and the very act of edging around them is, I think a sign we can't deal with them.

So should we allow their discussion?
It would I think be very interesting to see peoples responses to a controversial topics, and it would be good to see people playing the devils advocate in debates. They could indicate they were playing D.A., then say what is normally seen as very incorrect e.g.

I am playin D.A. Yes black people are inferior, as they started at a lower place in society

Again I have to say I completely disagree with this statment - it is quite disgusting in my onion, tub some people do still hold views like this - especially in places like Zimbabwe, where white farmers are 'stuck in the past'

(btw... Devils advocate is when you say something you don't believe in, for the sake of maybe making a point, or saying something noone would realley say)
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Thu May 05, 2005 8:10 pm

yes. I think conteversial topics such as the ones above should be welcome. I think the people on this forum should be mature enough to discuss those sorts of topics without any major problem ( with a few exceptions *cough*chazoa*cough*) and when discussing such topics we should remember that each persons opinoin is there own and we should respect that.
ANd that is my two cents.
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Thu May 05, 2005 8:14 pm

we shouldn't make any negative or offensive remarks
otherwise it's a great idea
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby nil on Fri May 06, 2005 4:21 am

Well, nothing is really controversial.

Rocks and sticks can break your bones but words never hurt. But that's only my personal opinion.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Math_nerd on Fri May 06, 2005 6:19 am

I have been picked on for years in school, So I would have to say that words hurt a lot more than sticks and stones (I have had my fair share of both). But I think that we can probably debate most contovesial subjects without steping on too many toes. All of the stated sujects above in Bomadeno's post I think would be fine or quickly disproven.

Thats all I have to say.
Our heads are round - So that our thoughts may fly out in all directions.

Even the greatest of whales is helpless in the desert.
Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Sat May 07, 2005 7:33 pm

I've tried to come up with a few controversial topics. I'll throw them in every now and then. The Nazism thread is the first in the series.

If you are offended by anything that comes up remember - it can be erased without trace.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby princess on Wed May 25, 2005 10:48 am

hey math nerd, just pick back worse! that's what i did and people soon learned not to do it. if you're still at school that is. and a few self made rumours of violence help too.
mew mew mew pur purr purrr mew mew lick
princess
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Wed May 25, 2005 11:04 am

Rumours like what?

And two wrongs don't make a right. Don't pick back, be really nice to them instead.

It also catches them off guard and can make them look stupid. If someone for example calls you... 'a name' then say, how are you today, or give them some chocolate or something. Well something more appropriate than chocolate maybe. You are much stronger if you resist doing something you want to do. (like beating them witha stick repetitively. Despite me often using this as a threat (very often)) (I have never actully beaten or poked anyone with a stick)
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby princess on Wed May 25, 2005 11:57 am

well, it helps if there's something in your past to exaggerate on. I didn't have to spread the rumours myself. I had a history of aruing with teachers and scratching my classmates in primary school which somebody mentioned and suddenly i was the girl who used to bash everyone and throw desks at teachers!

No, you don't be nice! you fight back when attacked. It's fun to see a smelly person's face when an insult backfires.
princess
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Wed May 25, 2005 1:05 pm

You don't fight... You can put down, or make feel bad, tub never fight.

Rumours about me using that would be highly amusing and thoughrouly interesting :D
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby princess on Wed May 25, 2005 2:26 pm

i meant word fight. but if attacked physically i always fight back. as long as i have a chance. i make sure they regrett it so they don't do it again. :D
princess
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Wed May 25, 2005 3:08 pm

Being fought physically it is very hard not to fight back. I have many times :oops:

Sometimes it was a bad idea.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby princess on Wed May 25, 2005 3:39 pm

mmm. i haven't needed to very many times, but i've never lost. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
princess
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Wed May 25, 2005 3:44 pm

The one I lost.

Someone threw some coke in my face.
I was angered.
We ended up fighting.
As he was moving towars me I realised he was about 6foot tall and very fat.
He also had about 400 chav mates behind him.
My friends ran away.
I fought a bit, lost my glasses and couldn't see :x
Ran.
When summarising my injuries... the greatest was one I got was from my watch hitting my head...
His 'podgy' hands didn't do any damage... they just... plubbed into me.
His friends and my lack of were the key concerns.

(however I was going through a deeply agressive week. having never fought before I go a bit of a taste for it and got into about 8 more fights by the end of the week... then stopped and haven't fought since (ecept with my brothers))
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby princess on Wed May 25, 2005 3:57 pm

awww. that wasn't a fair fight. :(

I have little fazes where i'm just itching for someone to start a fight with me. I'm very dangerous when in a true rage, so unless they're really out of my league i win. But nobody ever starts fights with me these days.
princess
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Next