SPORE

Computer games, video games or whatever your immature mind like to play :)

Moderator: Hatter Police

SPORE

Postby nil on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:17 am

In my local art gallery, during one of those "pay whatever you want night" (yes I'm cheap) , I saw a game called Spore. It was created by the guy who made Sim City and the Sims. I was wondering why a computer game would be consider artistic... so I downloaded it at home and tried it out myself. (they have a demo version of the creature creator from http://www.spore.com/trial)

At first, it looked kind of silly and childish, but after making a few creatures I was totally amazed by the "generated procedure" of the game. I didn't imagine this kind of thing was possible. As advertised, it's a creature creator... but it's the kind of creator that will let your imagination rein.

The game is not finish yet, when it's done, it will allow you to play like Civilization, or Startcraft but with the creatures created by you and other people playing the same game. It's quite a concept. I'll post some of the creatures I created on this thread. You may want to try it out yourself and post your creatures here (you can use the upload attachment link).
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Re: SPORE Creature Creation

Postby nil on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:45 am

Here is a introduction to the game:

Here is a tutorial on how to create a spore creature:

By the way, now you can post youtube links in this forum, just use something like:
Code: Select all
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRovPCiBBTw[/youtube]
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Re: SPORE

Postby nil on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:52 am

Here are some creatures I created.

Pear Killer.png

Goldfishy.png

Voodoo Princess.png

By the way, you can save the image to your desktop, drag and drop these creatures into your spore creator, it sounds magical but it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Bomadeno on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:08 pm

They looks really impressive... far better than some creations I've seen out there... * ahem * (they're not polite.)

I'll download the trial but I am resentful to buy the final game, in a boycotting manoeuvre against bad copyright protection. (I've been told you'll only be able to install the game a few times, and that you will need an internet connection to activate this.)

I don't know about the rest of the world, but my pc needs formatting every now and then... There are better ways to do it, and EA aren't embracing them.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby nil on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:00 am

I think DRM had influenced my purchasing decision before, I avoided some games because of DRM (e.g. BioShock & Mass Effect). People also complained about the DRM for Spore before (it needed to validate every 10 days), the developer had listened and they had since tuned it down, and right now it's kind of reasonable. I think they got the wrong idea for the DRM, it supposes to improve sales, but at the end of the day, they lose some sales that may or may not have covered the little gain they made, not to mention the complexity and support cost to maintain an effective DRM system.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Bomadeno on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:05 am

Oh how true :(

For the same reason, I never bought Bioshock, so that's at least one sale they've lost, and I know a few other people, so that's about 4 more they lost (we were all interested enough to buy the game before we found out). I bet they lost at least 5% of what they could have sold...
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:13 am

I don't understand why people should have to buy multiple programs in order to make a game work. It should just come with the game
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:57 am

Well, i downloaded the trial and played with it. I created one quite cool thing, and one.. uhh, horrific thing. My brother made it actually, I just sculpted it. The non horrific one hung its hands over its head, so it looked quite cute (despite having a rack of killer spines on its back).

There wasn't much in the way of choices for painting the creatures though, which was a bit disappointing.

The reason they're selling this separately is annoying marketing (grabEveryPennySyndrome), but I think they'll include it with the main game too. That's because they've been delaying releasing the same game so long (they announced spore in 1930, before even nil was born) that they needed to release something for the fans, to stop everyone from giving up hope.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter