The pros and cons of having a credit card.

A place to argue, to talk. No violence is allowed. Any violator will be violently punished.

Moderator: Hatter Police

The pros and cons of having a credit card.

Postby Mysti on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:19 pm

The pros and cons of having a credit card. Disuss.

Credit cards have made consumerism easier and quicker than ever, as well as being more convenient to carry about than wads of cash. Dont have the money on hand for that new pair of shoes? Easy, put it on the card. They have also compelled us to spend more than our budget can allow and are prone to security risks, and not only that the bank have a constant record of where you are and what you are doing just by looking at your recent spending.

So whats your call on credit cards, especially in this day and age of the credit crunch. A blessing or a curse?
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
Mysti
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Re: The pros and cons of having a credit card.

Postby nil on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:36 am

Those credit card debts are just numbers. They are no more meaningful than the funny gold you collected in World of War Craft or other silly on-line games--as long as you are no longer playing the game.

The problem is, in the game of real life, we can't easily leave the game until the day we fell into the grave. So it depends on how long are you planning to play this game, you shall budget your funny-gold-currency accordingly. It has little to do with the little plastic money but a lot to do with how well we know ourselves. Why do we buy things we never need and dump it away when we no longer want? If the shoes last years on your feet, by all means, buy them, mortgage your house if you need to. But if they only touch your feet for a week or a night, then you didn't really buy what you wanted, you just bought what you thought you wanted. That's the problem, we buy what we thought we wanted, but not what we really wanted.

The sadness of modern economic is: Selling people things they never need so we can buy things we never wanted.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby Bomadeno on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:01 pm

I buy things I need :D

I have a debit card, not a credit card. I think this is better (It's a gut instinct), as it allows me to spend merrily without stupid paper money (and in places where credit cards aren't accepted too!), but I know if I overspend, I die due to bank charges and overdraft things fees.

I hate when people (mainly those close to me) buy something useless or tacky that they only ever use once or haven't looked to see if they need it in the future. Whereas I buy electronic screwdrivers and games that I've wanted for at least 2 years, except in very exceptional circumstances (like bargain sales).
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:18 am

I prefer cash. After all big brother is watching.

besides using cash gives me the security that I will never have to worry about faulty math costing me money.

on the note of things bought that are unwanted and unneeded, I hate these things becoming gifts. it's like little figurine thingies. I really don't like them all that much because they do nothing but collect dust. So I don't want other people wasting their money on such things for me.

any how I am against credit cards
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:43 pm

In the spirit of wasted gifts, my family bought me 3 duplicates this christmas... You'd think they'd communiate seeing as they all live in the same house! I don't think I'll ever understand how they managed such a catastrophe.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:05 am

I don't think I've ever been bought a duplicate. I don't understand how one would get duplicates for christmas. it would be hard
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:33 pm

I told my mum I wanted something. She told both my brothers. She then bought it, but so did both of they. My mother failed to communicate her plans clearly, and thus made more work for herself in the long run. The message behind this is not to tell anyone anything, and to remain mute throughout the Christmas period. This will also be cause for added celebration on boxing day, when everyone will be able to talk (and fight over unwanted presents). I have a spellchecker again because I am in the university today. It's quite nice to know how errorful all my other posts from home must be.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:51 pm

my posts are rarely errorfull since I use the firefox spell checker. it seems to not recognize you new word though
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:57 am

It's probably out of date. Errorful is in approximately all dictionaries since 1456BC.

One downside of credit cards is fraud detection. If my card get's blocked again due to "suspected fraud" then I'm going to scream :shock: <<!!!! The shock smiley has changed!!! This is not on! It's eyes are too small!!! :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy:
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:13 am

I've never had a credit card. I've never quite understood paying more later for something you want now.

errorful although it was spelled wrong in my last post is still not recognized

and did they even have english dictionaries in 1456 bc?
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:07 pm

I didn't even notice you had got it different. I don't think two ls is wrong necessarily... Seeing as it's a new creation, I think both are fine.

The dictionaries were rare, however approximately -24 have been unfound.

My card takes cash straight from my account, and costs me nothing. It's purely convenient. If i spent money I don't have it would cost me, but I keep a mental track of my balance to stop myself getting overdrawn.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:40 am

isn't that more of a debit card
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:09 pm

Probably :fisticuffs:
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:50 am

I've heard that credit cards are more secure

also credit cards help build credit

however one must weigh whether or not they will have full amount when it comes time to pay the bill
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:24 am

I've heard that too. I'll probably get a credit card, when I have a proper (not loan based) income...

I never have enough money to pay bills... that's what overdrafts are for!
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Next