Thinking about Thought

Put a thousand monkeys in a room and you get the work of Shakespeare. Put a thousand mentally inspired members in a forum, and you can figure out any truth, even the meaning of life.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Thinking about Thought

Postby Manwithbeard on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:30 pm

A penny for your thoughts? :nod:

Thinking in itself is a dangerous state as it is the one in which you affect yourself and others most.
Truly deep thinking is best for philosophers, bad should you be giving orders, and unwanted should you be leading.
Whether one or none of these, thinking is a seductive poison feeds upon reason until reason is gone and only empty gestures of futility
( May or may not be a word) remain.
Hapless is the person that thinks often, Disgusted is the one who both thinks and sees,
and happy is the man who is blind to the world existing in his own mind.
The reasoning for this is that the man oblivious to the world within his own mind does not know that it exists,
and if he doesn't know it exists he doesn't know that it is a possibility waiting to become reality.
And because of this, the man is happy with the world as it is, never knowing what dreams he could achieve in thought,
Only expressing regret because he cannot achieve the dull bliss of the material, ignorant of the emphereal land of what could be.
When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.
Manwithbeard
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Location: The Internet in general ^_^ Onemanga Gaiaonline Here Duels Kongregate

Re: Thinking about Thought

Postby Mysti on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:59 am

"I think, therefore I spam" was not a famous quotation of philosophy, but perhaps it ought to be. :willy:
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
Mysti
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Manwithbeard on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:53 pm

agreed.
Manwithbeard
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:44 am

Manwithbeard wrote:Hapless is the person that thinks often, Disgusted is the one who both thinks and sees
and happy is the man who is blind to the world existing in his own mind.

Oh, so true... I was discussing this the other day, and indeed oblivion is bliss. I know I overthink things myself, and although I wouldn't sacrifice it for the world, many times I've wished I could just shut down the way I think, just for a while, and enjoy 'the moment'. Alas, very few things offer me that state (ahh, computer games.)
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Manwithbeard on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:49 pm

I use Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and such expansions to dull my mind. How i love roaming virtual worlds. :D

Alas, i haven't learned how to stop thinking, and i don't think that once you start, you can stop :(

Sounds like the pringles slogan...Hmmm.
Manwithbeard
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:27 am

Once you pop you just can't stop, and will have to resort to finding forums of likely-inspired people to pop your top with more. Maybe it's not as catchy as the original, but the additional idea of society might bolster marketing critics enough to spizflab the retagargle. Morrowind and such are indeed brilliant games :D Though, while morrowind is easy, and bloodmoon 'a challenge', tribunal has always struck me as inarticulately difficult. The point where you have to explore the dwemer undercity specifically. I've more or less abandoned trying to get my 'full power sword of doom' and resorted to using something else (though... i haven't played in a while... can't remmber what) (probably a jinxed glass dagger thing for paralyze... and that sword of white frosty DEATH) Frostbite. Frostbane. Coldsword. It was bluish and had an ice enchant anyway. One of the impreial rewards. I'll dig out the savegame sometime and find out O:

It's currently 12:25 and I've been awake longer than i should without eating enough and with too much caffeine and not enough rest and my RSI has set in hard on my wrist, so I shall without further ado become uncoscious for a duration of approximately 6 hours. :willy:

sheep sheep sheep sheep
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Manwithbeard on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:43 pm

I Prefer using a silver dagger with both paralyze and drain health enchants....I love the undercity, you get so many enchanted darts from the place I LOVE it

^.^

Personally, i hated bloodmoon the most. All that running around just to get attacked by werewolves? Oy. -.- I did find a really neat enchanted glove and such in the stump, and a sword in the middle of a frozen river i happened to be traveling in to escape those damned wolf riding things whose name i have forgotten...they're blue though, if that helps :D

I agree with you in that tribunal is the most challenging though. It's also the best looking, so much more detail went into it than any other city/area.
Manwithbeard
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:49 pm

And the armours there are so unique and luscious... the weapons (like her right hands blade) look stunning too. Bloodmoon appealed more to my nature at the time... although tribunal's 'compact frenzied feel' was nice.

I haven't got the discs to install the game sadly, so I cannot go and find out what my weapon is. * sniff *

The best thing about bloodmoon were the gorgeous burial tombs packed with rare items and suchlike. I never got enough stuff for the ice armour though...
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Mysti on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:27 pm

Aids to thinking

Use of models, symbols, diagrams and pictures.
    Use of abstraction to simplify the effort of thinking.
    Use of metasyntactic variables to simplify the effort of naming.
    Use of iteration and recursion to converge on a concept.
    Limitation of attention to aid concentration and focus on a concept. Use of peace and quiet to aid concentration.
    Goal setting and goal revision. Simply letting the concept percolate in the subconscious, and waiting for the concept to re-surface.
    Talking with like-minded people. Resorting to communication with others.
    Working backward from the goal.
    Desire for learning.
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
Mysti
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Manwithbeard on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:36 pm

I love to learn. The teachers however, suck. That one sentence there can and probably is true to most of the world today.

I remember the first tomb i pillaged ^.^ I got a pirate looking sword that glowed green. And You've got to admit, even though tribunal was visually impressive, so was the ice castle in Bloodmoon. And the fact that you could help build a town. I felt like i was recreating my keep all over again. ^-^

Did you ever find the Daedroth bell ringing hammer/mallet thing? I love editing that weapon! Almost as amazing as pie. :BigGrin:
Manwithbeard
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Postby Mysti on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:47 pm

Speaking of computer gaming, i have this tricket [http://www.wowhead.com/?item=13379] on my druid Rhiannonrose on WOW, are you jealous? :O
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
Mysti
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:55 am

WOAH. Awesome item! * dances * (or is that '\dance' for you wow people >_>)

Don't remember too well, but i too loved getting stuff. I hoarded everything in Balmora, it was luscious. To the point it crashed my game and i had to get rid of some junk ;_; Coincidentally... Nothing. Compares. To pie.

That list of things is very true! A little bit wordy, but more or less my mantra. (they = the way to program, more or less) I tend to do them every day!

Not all teachers suck, but most people who are 'good at teaching' do not teach, and tend to go on to other things. I'm considering teaching, as I know I could do better than 90% of teachers... but I can't help being dragged down other paths, and am probably going to end up not teaching - at least not at a high school level.
The most important thing to realise is that yes, they do suck. But are you going to let that hold you back? Unless they're stopping you from learning, you can learn it all by yourself, and then go the extra mile and apply it - and really learn it. And then if you're feeling generous teach your classmates without being a smart ass (using mad skillz)

Sadly, at the school i'm currently visiting they actually stop the kids learning, and yet they can't even see they're doing it. It's actually distressing to watch...
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Manwithbeard on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:54 pm

I know...here in America the public schools aren't schooling anyone, just preparing the student for a life of flipping burgers and living paycheck to paycheck.......*shudders* I wish I had the connections to get an apprenticeship somewhere working with books or computers, to prepare me for when i buy and own my own bookshop/ internet cafe. It's going to be glorious. :D

I horded everything in the game in my cabin on the Bloodmoon island(i forgot its name!) There were so many items stacked upon one another i had to mod the game and create stacks of crates and barrels to put them all in.

Kudos to you mysti. :mrgreen: *prefers warhammer*
Manwithbeard
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:54 pm

I put them in the corpse of hlaalo manor.... Morbid, but inifinite permanent storage space :D

I had to mod oblivion though, to store all my belongings. And then went crazy and started modding lots of other stuff in it too *pilot* (it was a lot easier than morrowind modding)

Oh and you have the internet - you can learn near everything about computers there. Anything else, well, ask the forum robot. He's very wise (when he's not killing you)
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Manwithbeard on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Ah, I see....*does not see*
Manwithbeard
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Next