Smoking

A place to argue, to talk. No violence is allowed. Any violator will be violently punished.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Smoking

Postby Bomadeno on Fri May 06, 2005 6:08 pm

'Smoking should be completely banned'

I truthfully agree with this. Do you?
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Math_nerd on Fri May 06, 2005 6:18 pm

I think that if people want to kill themselves smoking, they can go ahead and do so. In Oregon you can't smoke in work buildings, some appartments ect. Mostly people smoke in bars and outside. I think that this is fine.
Our heads are round - So that our thoughts may fly out in all directions.

Even the greatest of whales is helpless in the desert.
Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Fri May 06, 2005 6:29 pm

Tub what if you want to go in the bars? Or in the places they are in outside?
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Fri May 06, 2005 7:31 pm

Math_nerd wrote:I think that if people want to kill themselves smoking, they can go ahead and do so. In Oregon you can't smoke in work buildings, some appartments ect. Mostly people smoke in bars and outside. I think that this is fine.

correct you are. If you want to go in a bar then understand that people may be smoking in there. If it bothers you that much then dont go in.
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby trumpetprodigy on Sun May 15, 2005 10:36 pm

I think that smoking is bad for you, but some people are addicted. Banning it will cause people to smoke illeagally, like when they banned alchohol. And, I think that the government should not run people's lives for them. If they want to smoke, even though it is not healthy, they should be allowed to.
"Birthdays are healthy for you. Statistics show that people who have more of them, live longer."
To Victory, and Beyond!!!
trumpetprodigy
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Tue May 17, 2005 11:14 pm

it's not just dangerous to the smokers health, its dangerous to people around thems health

my sister smokes
it is harmful to my neices' health and when she comes around me her breath is enough to kill me
I do not like that she is smoking around my neices
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Math_nerd on Tue May 17, 2005 11:17 pm

But at that point she is smoking in the house of children and not outside where she should be smoking if she is going to.
Our heads are round - So that our thoughts may fly out in all directions.

Even the greatest of whales is helpless in the desert.
Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Wed May 18, 2005 12:42 am

If you smoke, you should dod it respnnsibly....
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Nobody on Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:46 pm

The evidence supporting second hand smoke as being harmful is weak, at best. Until someone can come up with some conclusive evidence that shows second hand smoke as being anything more than annoying and or disgusting, smokers should not have to smoke outside.
Nobody
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:52 pm

well I am going to tell you that my nieces are sick more often than a normal person and I personally blame it on second hand smoke and until my sister proves me wrong by smoking outside and them still getting sick so often I will continue to believe that it is caused by second hand smoke
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:30 am

my mother smokes, although it is annoying and disgusting..i dont find it harmfull to myself...but im no scientist
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby trumpetprodigy on Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:32 am

My dad use to smoke for like 45 years (I'm not exactly sure), and a lot a day. I don't think I was sicker than normal, infact I was (and still am) quite healthy. My dad did quit a while ago, and it seems that he has had no major health problems from it.
"Birthdays are healthy for you. Statistics show that people who have more of them, live longer."
To Victory, and Beyond!!!
trumpetprodigy
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby princess on Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:25 am

I smoke. I know it is bad, and will quit soon, which is easier than a lot of people make out. I don't think it should be banned, we have the right to do harmful things if we want to, and occassionally cigarettes can be used in decent ways, eg someone is really freaking out, and although they don't ususally smoke they have a cigarette to calm them down, and don't get all worked up.
I try to be as responsible as i can with my smoking, i don't smoke around non-smokers, i always throw my butts in the bin, and try not to do it too much [but i still do :( ] I certainly would never let my second hand smoke get on childrens or smoke if i was pregnant.

Never the less, im really fed up with and trying to decide exactly when to quit. Must choose the right time or else you fail.
mew mew mew pur purr purrr mew mew lick
princess
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Nobody on Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:29 am

"Although I do not smoke...I do think bullying someone who is in a restaurant or community establishment is JUST as messed up. Just because you don't like what someone is doing with their body does not give you the right to force a particular 'will' on them. Now I am all for clean air laws (when they apply), but I think they take a back seat when it comes to civil liberties." -Penn of Penn & Teller

The EPA created a 1992 report to the FDA saying that second hand smoke kills 3,000 people a year . Unfortunatly, the EPA could not produce physical evidence of this report to the FDA and since they act independantly of the FDA (meaning the FDA is not their boss)...they chose to use these statistics anyway. Now the EPA has a 'new' figure, (53,000 people) which they have used as their tagline to ban and abolish smoking. Unfortunatly this figure comes from a 'projected' estimation of how many people die each year from second hand smoke. These statistics came from...yes...you guessed it...the 1992 reports that the FDA found to be false.

Thankfully (or not), the FDA decided in 2002 to compile a study of the effects of second hand smoke (which started the same year (1992) that the EPA submitted their reports) and they found that 1 in 12,500,000 people in the US will die from second hand smoke each year at the most.

To put it in perspective...1 in 12.5 million americans will die each year from second hand smoke. Also 1 in 10 million americans die each year from being struck my lightening...get the picture?

See...so i'm not saying that second hand smoke doesn't kill...it just doesn't kill as much as the EPA (Truth, Choice, and all other anti-smoking campaigns) would like you to believe.
Nobody
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

Postby princess on Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:48 am

yeah, i get really annoyed when people tell me not to smoke....do they think iv been living under a rock and have missed out on all the info on why it is bad?
Or that i'll stop because they told me to? I think they'r just wanting to show off their own morality by discouraging smoking, but when they do that they'r failing miserably.
mew mew mew pur purr purrr mew mew lick
princess
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Next