Suicide

A place to argue, to talk. No violence is allowed. Any violator will be violently punished.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Suicide

Postby nowhere man on Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:27 pm

Should it be illeagal to commit suicide? Believe it or not, in some places is is ileagal to commit suicide. If some ones life is bad enough that they want to kill themselves they should be aloud. That is the ultimate freedom, the freedom to die, does evryone agree?
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:39 pm

well I don't see what they can do to the person for committing suicide
but when people kill themselves they rarely realise who they are about to hurt
more people care about them than they think
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Suicide

Postby nil on Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:49 am

When people commit suicide, it's usually an impulsive action. When their acts are interfered by other nosey people, it gives them a chance to rethink the question of life and death.

After some prolonged pondering, they may find a purpose to pursue in life, like for example, collecting porcelain figurines may be a more wholesome hobby then committing suicide.
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby nowhere man on Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:07 pm

That is true, I don't think by at all that it's a good idea to commit suicide, and if one is about to commit suicide and a family member wishes to try and stop them, thats great, but if after all the convincing the peron still wants to commit suicide that should be there own choice to make.
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby GoodGrief on Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:30 am

Has anybody ever thought what the deterrent factor for this would be? I mean if you kill yourself WTF are they gonna punish you with? And as for attempted suicide what can they do because anyone who tries to commit suicide is surely by definition not fit to stand trial. Is this actually gonna stop anybody who wants to do it? No. And if you were trying to talk a loved one out of kicking the bucket would you say "Um don't do that cause it's illegal" or would you say "Don't do that cause we all love you and there is more that's worth living for than you seem to have realised etc" I mean come on!
-GG

What exactly is meant by the above statement I may never know.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
GoodGrief
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Postby Mysti on Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:33 pm

totally agree. if you want to talk someone out of suicide, the legality of it isn't going to persuade them not to.

if they want to die badly enough, mabye they should be left alone to do it.

but that's not saying they can't be saved. even a single life saved is a gift if they can be prevented from leaving.

did my post make any sense?
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
Mysti
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Nobody on Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:32 am

I think Hunter Thompson said it best.

"It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat shit and die. Who knows? If there is in fact, a heaven and a hell, all we know for sure is that hell will be a visciously overcrowded version of Phoenix— a clean well lighted place full of sunshine and bromides and fast cars where almost everybody seems vaguely happy, except those who know in their hearts what is missing... And being driven slowly and quietly into the kind of terminal craziness that comes with finally understanding that the one thing you want is not there. Missing. Back-ordered. No tengo. Vaya con dios. Grow up! Small is better. Take what you can get...."

H.S. Thompson - RIP - (He committed suicide not too long ago)
Nobody
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:44 pm

Pimienta wrote:well I don't see what they can do to the person for committing suicide
but when people kill themselves they rarely realise who they are about to hurt
more people care about them than they think

People who are about to commit suicide generally do think about the people they are going to hurt. They spend hours weighing it up, yet some still do it.

Most people who commit suicide are not actually trying to kill themselves, but draw attention to themselves. Thats probably why the survival rates are so high.
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Insanity test on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:04 pm

Probably why it used to be illegal. It used to carry the death peanilty! What's with that?? Just giving them what they wanted!

at least thats what i used to think, but if bomandenos right, its still a bit of a steep punishment for wanting some attention. luckily, its not illegal anymore (at least in Britain), so anyone feeling depressed can still try to kill themselves in the happy knowledge that should they fail, they won't be ... er ... killed. Um...
--/:Out of cheese Error:/--

Please shutdown Universe and reboot from Start.
Insanity test
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: A small blue green planet on the Western Spiral Arm of the Milky Way.

o....k

Postby punk04 on Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:36 am

wow now that i read all of this i think im the only one who dosent think that suicide is all that bad i mean if someone wants to do it i think they should be entitled to their own choice and presue their couse even if it is death to ones self, i mean yah it hurts outher people too but if your celtic wika like me you beleive strongly in reincarnation and dont worry too much about those kind of things imean there are worse things in the world hten commiting suicide like i would rather die that loose my memory
punk04
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Re: o....k

Postby Nobody on Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:24 am

punk04 wrote:wow now that i read all of this i think im the only one who dosent think that suicide is all that bad i mean if someone wants to do it i think they should be entitled to their own choice and presue their couse even if it is death to ones self, i mean yah it hurts outher people too but if your celtic wika like me you beleive strongly in reincarnation and dont worry too much about those kind of things imean there are worse things in the world hten commiting suicide like i would rather die that loose my memory

Man...theres a million things I'd die to just forget.

Like that time i was riding my bike uphill and a fly flew ino my mouth and I swallowed it.

Now thast a memory I don't need.
Nobody
Great Hatter
Great Hatter

Postby hamster on Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:30 pm

Attempting suicide is a sign of deep pyschological sickness, of having dropped into a black pit of the mind with no sense of ever being able to get back out. You hurt so bad, you feel so awful, you just want to snap the cord of your life and end your pain.

I agree that making it illegal is pointless, just like it is pointless to make being an alcoholic illegal or to ban manic-depression.

But suicide is never the answer. It is a selfish stone of despair cast into a big pond, and the ripples spread out forever. The statistics show that the friends and family of a suicide committer, not only suffer years of torment and guilt but often kill themselves, too. Would you want that for your daughter? Your best friend?

Those who have survived a suicide attempt, or who mustered the courage to not go through with it, do discover the truth so hidden from them in their moment of despair -- that joy does come in the morning, that they will again find happiness.

I considered suicide once, long ago, when I was in an awful place and time. I made preparations. But I did not follow through. I am so very, very glad -- I would have missed out on a life of joy that awaited me.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby punk04 on Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:36 pm

really i dont neccasarilly think that is true i would know hamster ive tried it and backed down sevral times i never fond the hidden truth people have actually urged me on before
punk04
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Postby hamster on Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:54 pm

punk04 wrote:really i dont neccasarilly think that is true i would know hamster ive tried it and backed down sevral times i never fond the hidden truth people have actually urged me on before

The truth's not hidden. It is that happiness is found in blessing the lives of others.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby punk04 on Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:23 am

i never had the blessings of others thats the problem of being goth plus most my friends dont admitt they care so for me there is no blessing
punk04
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Next