30%
Sword and Sorcery
40%
WTF? I don't read fantasy you losers!
No votes

Total votes : 10

The wonderful genre of FANTASY!

Postby GoodGrief on Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:34 am

What is your favourite subgenre of Fantasy? I've had to leave some of the more obscure ones and some of the not-so obscure ones off because of limits to poll options - vote away!

I've done brief descriptions of each that probably don't cover the whole subgenre in a lot of cases because people will go their own way, but eh. You'll get the general idea if you didn't have it already.

Comic: It's funny fantasy. Some would say that Terry Pratchett is the master of this genre, and I'd be inclined to agree.

Contemporary fantasy: Otherwise known as urban fantasy. It's fantasy set in our world, or one like it, with all the trappings of modernity (including digital watches - YAY!). Examples are Buffy and Harry Potter.
Superhero Fantasy: Protagonists with appalling fashion sense are this subgenre's trademark feature. Often urban in nature. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Wonder Woman, The Hulk the list goes on. Apologies to anyone whose favourite superhero I left off the list.

Dark Fantasy: Likes to overlap with urban fantasy. It's supernatural horror, and can be either set in our world or in another, more fantastical one.

High Fantasy: The most rigidly defined subgenre there is. Epic quests, lots of magic, the world hanging in the balance, great wars and a sense of reading history in the making. Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, etc.

Mannerpunk: Concerned with interactions within complex social hierachies rather than going out and bashing goblins on the head with big sticks.

Science Fantasy: Hybrid of Fantasy and Sci-Fi. Generally set in worlds where advanced science and magical elements co-exist or even blend.

Sword and Sorcery: Not to be confused with High Fantasy. Think Conan the Barbarian and Dungeons and Dragons.

WTF? I don't read Fantasy you losers: This option is for people who want to pretend they can deal with reality without the gentle escapism of Fantasy. Pardon me if I think that your average Discworld novel provides a much more thought-provoking social commentary than, say, your average Soapie. Or Idol. Or any number of reality TV shows... that aren't.
-GG

What exactly is meant by the above statement I may never know.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
GoodGrief
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Postby Cherokee_girl on Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:05 pm

I love fantasy and many of the subgenres you listed, but could only pick one so I went with my standby, swords and sorcery. I also enjoy comtemporary, high fantasy, and science fantasy. I dindn't really like the whole fantasy genre in general until about eighth grade and we read The Smallest Dragonrider by Anne McCaffery. That got me started. Before that I read mostly mysteries and harry potter.
I like Anime and Manga and Music and DOCTOR WHO!!
Cherokee_girl
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: Somewhere near central Kentucky, in a town that starts with a B.

Postby Bomadeno on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:17 pm

I picked science fantasy.. tub i haven't read a book in too long. Maybe I should pick one up, tub I'm way to distracted by other things.. like pizza and ice cream... and the like
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby thesinofmylips on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:06 pm

i love lord of the rings, though it took me about two months to read it!!
time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
thesinofmylips
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:18 pm

I like medieval romances which are High Fantasy
They always have a quest, a perilous journey, enchantment, good over evil theme, ect.
but the difference is that they can take place in any era even though they are commonly thought of as castles
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby thesinofmylips on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:20 pm

Sometimes a like books with a soppy, romantic ending, sometimes i like books that make me cry (noughts and crosses, knife edge, and checkmate!!) it depends what mood i'm in.
thesinofmylips
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:23 pm

I cry in most books so I can't really say that I don't like books that make me cry
I think I even cried in HHGTTG at one point
but I soon got over it due to the humor
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby thesinofmylips on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:26 pm

i haven't read it, i really should. My parents say that i'm too young and if i read it now and don't understand i wont be able to enjoy as much when i read it again and do understand.
my parents suck.
thesinofmylips
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:31 am

Well I read it youngish.. then a year later.. then a year later again...

I wouldn't say its ruined it - I get different messages from it every time I read it. Admittedly the older I am each time I read it, the more wisdom I see, tub thats to be expected I guess. I wonder how much wisdom really old people get out of it?
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby Pimienta on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:18 pm

I think nil might be able to answer that since he claims to be 76 and that is considered to be really old
Pimienta
Pretty Inspired Hatter
Pretty Inspired Hatter

Postby Astarte on Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:34 pm

A difficult choice!

I loved the Buffy and Angel series and was very sad when they ended.

I also like straight Science Fiction and belong to a Scifi club that has monthly meetings and shows all the lastest things that aren't on our (Australian) TV yet.

At the next meeting in November they are having a members' "car boot" sale and people are able to get a table in the club rooms to sell off their unwanted scifi stuff.

I'm saving up already!!! :wink:
Image ...Weep no more...Image
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Cherokee_girl on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:06 am

What kind of stuff??
I like Anime and Manga and Music and DOCTOR WHO!!
Cherokee_girl
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Location: Somewhere near central Kentucky, in a town that starts with a B.

Postby Astarte on Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:34 am

Well, they are talking about the usual scifi stuff like action figures, books, comics,videos, DVDs.... But there is also talk of natural handmade skincare products and lipglosses and balms (??? :shock: ) . I suggested cakes and one of the guys plans to make muffins! And another one is bringing a new dinner set!! :lol: Those are just a couple of people I know - there should be quite a few others.

I'll tell you more after it's all happened on 13th November.
Image ...Weep no more...Image
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:18 pm

I like science fiction, tub i've never like comics or action figures.

I like to read them most - it is... fun :P
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby thesinofmylips on Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:32 pm

i like dark materials by philip pullman he has some great ideas on life, universe and everything.
thesinofmylips
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Next