Beauty

Put a thousand monkeys in a room and you get the work of Shakespeare. Put a thousand mentally inspired members in a forum, and you can figure out any truth, even the meaning of life.

Moderator: Hatter Police

Beauty

Postby GoodGrief on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:33 am

What is it? Is it just a stronger form of 'pretty' or is another value altogether?

Is it only applicable to things that give you nice feelings like happiness, wonder, etc or is, for example, the moment your Nana's cat dies in her arms a beautiful moment?

If it is an altogether different thing from pretty, then is prettiness a prerequisite for beauty or can a blackened, twisted, barren landscape also possess an element of desolate beauty?

Can things of great and horrible consequence be beautiful? Example a tremendously colossal volcanic eruption that tears through a large city? Does the number of lives lost diminish or negate it's beauty in relation to a similar eruption that takes place far from any possibility of such consequences?

What about an event of similar proportions that is manufactured by humankind with intent to kill?

Is a tiger that eats your mum less beautiful than a tiger that doesn't eat your mum? Is it still beautiful at all? How is it different from the volcanic eruption apart from the scale? How is it different from a person murdering your mother?

How do you define beauty? Can you?

Discuss.

*goes to have nap*
-GG

What exactly is meant by the above statement I may never know.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
GoodGrief
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Beauty

Postby nil on Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:57 am

Before we were born, we saw a perfect form.

It had the perfect colour, perfect smell, perfect shape, perfect taste, prefect feel. That was what all form should look like and be.

And we came to this world, an imperfect world, whenever we see something similar to that form--be it only a fragment of the perfectness--we call it beautiful...

(and I don't mean the birth certificate form)
nil
Hatmaster
Hatmaster

Postby hamster on Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:38 pm

An old dead guy named Plato gave himself a headache wondering about this. Be very careful. And read his book on the subject if you dare.

Pretty is definitely a subgrade of beauty, inferior to it. If I say one girl is pretty but the other is beautiful, one of them is going to hit me.
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:27 pm

Probably both of them eventualy....Women :doubt:
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby hamster on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:36 pm

Now, now. Women are splendid creatures. After all, God kept making stuff until He came up with Woman. Then He put away His tools and took a nice nap, because creative perfection had been achieved and He couldn't top it!
hamster
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby nowhere man on Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:30 pm

thats is very true. But they are very indecisive..
nowhere man
Insane Hatter
Insane Hatter

Postby Math_nerd on Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:47 am

"fickle" is the word I belive that you are looking for.

But I do think they will both hit you eventualy, exept for pimienta. She will lose is she hits.
Our heads are round - So that our thoughts may fly out in all directions.

Even the greatest of whales is helpless in the desert.
Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby GoodGrief on Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:40 am

True, the word 'beauty' is used to mean 'pretty, only more so' but I don't believe it is. I think you can't just define it as 'nice to look at' or something. That's only only one meaning, and probably the most shallow.
-GG

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
GoodGrief
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Postby Math_nerd on Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:01 am

Beauty is simply the total consciousness of our perfections

I like this one.
Our heads are round - So that our thoughts may fly out in all directions.

Even the greatest of whales is helpless in the desert.
Math_nerd
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:05 pm

I'd say... You'll either get hit by both, or end up marrying one of them :D

Pretty is a possitive, in general use - if something it is pretty it conforms to sociallys pleasing standards.

However beautiful can also be a negative positive thing... gotta think a bit sideways maybe, tub a nuclear explosion like Nagasaki, the results were not pretty, tub they most certainly were beautiful.

So its more likely you will be hit by the girl you say is beatfiul i think, unless you explain, tub less likely you will end up getting married to the one you call pretty - which is a bit of a vain word by all accounts.

I wonder though... what if something is pretty beautiful :shock:
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby GoodGrief on Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:29 am

I always think of pretty as being nice to the senses, but not necessarily having any substance. Beauty has substance, but is it necessarily pleasing to the senses? Or is pretty a little bit conformist as well and beauty can fall outside the norm?
-GG

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
GoodGrief
Grand Hatter
Grand Hatter

Postby Bomadeno on Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:13 pm

I agree... I think thats similar to what i said (it might not be, tub i think so)

How many other people agree with that? And how many people agree our definitions are similar?
Bomadeno
Utterly Inspired Hatter
Utterly Inspired Hatter

Postby thesinofmylips on Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:33 pm

Bomadeno wrote:.

people can be 'pretty ugly' too.
time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
thesinofmylips
Crazy Hatter
Crazy Hatter

Postby Astarte on Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:49 pm

thesinofmylips wrote:
Bomadeno wrote:.

people can be 'pretty ugly' too.

Something that is truly beautiful or ugly doesn't need pretty in front of it.

Pretty and beautiful are very subjective - everybody sees things differently.

E.g. I think Jennifer Garner is incredibly pretty but I think Daryl Hannah (when she was younger) was truly beautiful.......

I think the patchwork quilt effect of farmed land is very pretty, but rugged mountains are awe-inspiring in their beauty.

I think prettiness is something you can chatter about with great enthusiasm.

I think there is a silence in beauty, because it takes our breath away. For a moment we are speechless and may even feel weak in the face of it.

Later on, it is difficult to find words that are descriptive enough to explain that level of beauty. It has touched something in your core that exists without need for words - a little pool of 'sure knowledge' that each of us carry inside us. It is from here that we instinctively know, without need for telling, right from wrong, good from evil, beauty from the mediocre.

Where does it come from? Someone once said "Give me a boy till the age of seven, and I will give you the man". It comes from your families, your homes and the environment you were brought up in.

And that is why everybody sees things differently, why we all have different values, ideas, attitudes, concepts of what make a person or thing worthwhile, and each of us carries very different 'certain knowledge' in our hearts.
Image ...Weep no more...Image
Astarte
Slightly Inspired Hatter
Slightly Inspired Hatter

Postby Purple Yeti on Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:08 am

true beautly depends on a persons's preferance, because one could admire the beauty of someone.. and on the other hand another person would think the opposite.
if it rains will you lend me your umbrella?

if u are interested i will tell you my name as i cover your ears
Purple Yeti
Newbie Hatter
Newbie Hatter

Next